Re: Oddities in RH 5.0

From: Chris Bond (chrisat_private)
Date: Sun Dec 28 1997 - 11:50:08 PST

    On Sun, 28 Dec 1997, Tres Melton wrote:

    > I had a problem with the shadow suite putting an '!' for a non-password
    > somewhere before and had to patch the source to make it use an '*'
    > instead.  It was in an old Slackware release.  I haven't had the time to
    > investigate this yet.  I don't understand why the shadow suite uses an '*'
    > for accounts with non-passwords when it converts regular /etc/passwd files
    > and uses an '!' for all new non-passwords.  A feature maybe?  I don't even
    > know if this is the problem.

    This is a not a security issue for here, you should to subscribe to the
    mailing lists on redhat.com.  The fix is edit /etc/pam.d/passwd to:

    password   required     /lib/security/pam_pwdb.so use_authtok shadow md5 nullok

    Regards,
    Chris Bond.
    --
      Regards, From Chris.

      --==== SysOp of Logics BBS ====--        irc Nickname: |Fingers|
             Chrisat_private               Tel:  +44 (0) 1432 370535
            ---================---             Data: +44 (0) 1432 278319
          http://www.uk.logics.com/            Pager:+44 (0) 1523 459522
             or fingersat_private

    ...Software is like sex. It's better when it's free...