Oddities in RH 5.0

From: Tres Melton (tresat_private)
Date: Sun Dec 28 1997 - 05:20:20 PST

    Please forgive me if this post is not appropriate for either of these two
    groups since I just joined redhat-list and this is my first post to either
    redhat or bugtraq (except for a previous plea for help that Aleph One
    answered on BUGTRAQ).

    I have Redhat 5.0 (that came with an Applixware update) and have installed
    it on my system.  I have run pwconv to change to shadowed passwords.  This
    is an extremly limited installation (nothing checked on the install
    options).  I have then added only certain packages (some binary and some
    source).  I have installed the shadow-utils and passwd SRPMS as well.

    If I run "useradd -p pass1 test1" I get the oddest thing in /etc/shadow:

    test1:pass1:10223:0:99999:7:::

    That doesn't look exactly cool to me.  If you run passwd you can fix that
    little problem.  I then ran "useradd test2" and got the following:

    /etc/shadow:    test2:!:10223:0:99999:7:::
    /etc/passwd:    test2:x:502:502::/home/test:/bin/bash

    looks cool so far right?  Now run "passwd test2" and set the password.
    Now the entries read like so:

    /etc/shadow:    test2:!:10223:0:99999:7:::
    /etc/passwd:    test2:R0KYaK5ivSnk6:501:501::/home/test2:/bin/bash

    Seems to me like it updated the wrong file.

    I had a problem with the shadow suite putting an '!' for a non-password
    somewhere before and had to patch the source to make it use an '*'
    instead.  It was in an old Slackware release.  I haven't had the time to
    investigate this yet.  I don't understand why the shadow suite uses an '*'
    for accounts with non-passwords when it converts regular /etc/passwd files
    and uses an '!' for all new non-passwords.  A feature maybe?  I don't even
    know if this is the problem.

    Anybody got any ideas?          Tres,

    .      .    ___ .      .     .  Tres Melton, IS Manager
    |\    /|   /   \ \    /\    /   Mountain Computer Wizards