Re: Oddities in RH 5.0

From: King O' Fun (jarasat_private)
Date: Sun Dec 28 1997 - 11:34:45 PST

    If anything here is already know, sorry.

    Redhat 4.2 also exibits some Password oditys, I thought nothing of it and
    learned to deal with it.

    --SNIP--
    # adduser test

    Looking for first available UID... 509
    Looking for first available GID... 509

    Adding login: test...done.
    Creating home directory: /home/test...done.
    Creating mailbox: /var/spool/mail/test...done.

    Don't forget to set the password.

    # passwd test
    New UNIX password:
    BAD PASSWORD: it is too short
    Retype new UNIX password:
    passwd: all authentication tokens updated successfully
    --SNIP--

    Ok this seems correct however PAM is setup to use shadow passwords.

    /etc/passwd entry:
    test:JPwKnbcDs6orA:509:509:RHS Linux User:/home/test:/bin/bash

    /etc/shadow entry:
    test:*:10223::::::

    The User is still able to Login however their password is world readable.
    A run of pwconv5 will fix this. However one would expect passwd to not
    have this problem, take a look at the source for 'su' it has HAS_SHADOW
    option so its not like passwd is unable to do it.  I was under the
    impression that PAM was supposed to allow you to change authentication
    without changing everything.

    This could be a problem with my PAM configuration though I followed the
    Directions right out of  "The Official Red Hat Linux Users Guide".

    I know of one other person off the top of my head with this problem.