FreeBSD getpass "feature"

From: GvS One (gvsat_private)
Date: Tue Feb 24 1998 - 23:24:36 PST

    Hi, netters!

    I just found some discouraging feature of the getpass(3) function,
    which affects the all programs which are using it: passwd, login, ...
    When you press ^C (send intr) at the password prompt, you... can enter
    then password visible (echoed). It does _not_ affect slogin/ssh
    package because it uses other password giving mechanism.

    I  don't know, if somebody consider this behaviour normal, but I'm
    not. So, after the few mail exchange with Guido, I've got the
    solution: install getpass v1.6 from the current CVS tree which is
    available from www.freebsd.org. Having problem with applying the
    fetched diff for getpass I patched it manually, rebuilt the diff and
    placed it to the

    ftp://ftp.agmar.ru/pub/unix/FreeBSD/getpass.c.1.5-1.6.diff

    So all those how think like me that's abnormal behaviour for the
    getpass can use it. Wish you well.

    SY, Seva Gluschenko, just stranger at the Road.

    --- IRC: erra
     * Origin: gone to the Internet (gvsat_private) [http://www.agmar.ru/~gvs/]