Re: More Microsoft debri

From: Michael Howard (mikehowat_private)
Date: Thu Apr 23 1998 - 11:40:23 PDT

    i work on the iis team, not fp, but i'll take a stab. the shtml.exe file is
    used by the frontpage editor when it wants to upload work from the editor to
    the server. this communication is performed using http. the same fp server
    extensions (as they are called) are used by visual interdev.

    the extensions are not specific to microsoft servers, they are available on
    various flavors of unix too. what's possibly happening is someone is using
    fp or vid to work on your server. if the fp extensions are not there then
    fp/vid will not be able to upload stuff to your server, but you will
    probably see a log entry like that listed below from a tool trying to test
    if the extensions are loaded on the server.

    the link updating theory is interesting, but i don't think that fp tries to
    call any executable to verify off-server links. but i'd need to check with
    the fp guys... let me know if you want me to persue it...

    cheers, mh
    mikehowat_private
    program manager
    iis security