Re: Overflows in minicom

From: Alan Cox (alanat_private)
Date: Sun May 10 1998 - 16:40:15 PDT

    >  It seems minicom(distributed with slak3.4) have some overflow
    > vulnerabilities, namely in the '-p' switch and when you pick a config
    > file on the arguments. (a strcpy and a sprintf)
    >
    >  you may test it with:
    >   $ minicom -p/dev/ttyp`perl -e =B4print "A" x 2500=B4`
    >     (Some garbage)
    >     Segmentation fault

    That appears to be an understatment at least with minicom 1.81. I've just
    been through doing the usual snprintfing etc. It has stuff like

            strcpy(buffer, getenv("TERM"))

    in it.

    Its also got a few I8N buffer overruns. This is something that seems to be
    creeping into code as people update it. When you go from

            char buf[31];
            sprintf(buf,"Hello %.30s",x)

            char buf[31];
            sprintf(buf, _("Hello %.10s"), x)

    you blow your protection since a user can set the NLSPATH and catalogs and
    translate catalogs so that "Hello %.10s" becomes "%s"  opening up an
    attack point.

    Alan