Re: ePerl: bad handling of ISINDEX queries

From: Andrew Pimlott (pimlottat_private)
Date: Wed Jul 08 1998 - 09:27:14 PDT

    On Mon, 6 Jul 1998, Tiago Luz Pinto wrote:

    >     (ePerl is an embedded Perl Interpreter for HTTP servers)

    >     Incorrect Handling of ISINDEX queries (command line argument)
    > when ePerl runs as a nph-cgi/cgi.

    I notified the author of a variant of this bug last summer (which he
    fixed; see
    http://www.engelschall.com/sw/eperl/distrib/eperl-SNAP/ChangeLog).  I
    honestly wouldn't trust eperl for a minute.  These are very simple
    mistakes.

    > * Cause:
    >     According with the CGI/1.1 specification, the HTTP
    > server executes CGI's passing the ISINDEX field as a command
    > line argument. When ePerl runs and gets this argument
    > (argc > 1), it fails to set MODE_CGI, then tries to
    > open the argument for parsing/executing.
    >
    >     This can lead to arbitrary Perl code being executed on
    > the server.
    >
    > * Example:
    > http://foo.com/some/dir/doit.phtml?/home/ftp/incoming/executemycode.phtml

    Andrew

    "Do they give a Nobel Prize for attempted chemistry?"
    - "Sideshow" Bob Terwilliger