Re: ncurses 4.1 security bug

From: Alan Cox (alanat_private)
Date: Wed Jul 08 1998 - 07:53:27 PDT

    > SUID programs should drop privs almost immediately. The number of
    > possible places such issues can lurk is semi-infinite. You'll never
    > get all of them. You *can*, however, drop privs almost instantly.

    Almost is often the killer. On the rest of the issues Im sure you are
    preaching to the choir right now

    > > 1.  The libraries will use message catalogs and may open them before
    > >     you do
    >
    > In NetBSD, the message catalogs we use don't work that way, so I
    > suppose I'm not familiar with this issue.

    Does libc load message databases of your choice - like say /dev/tape ? The
    problems are those of dropping privliedges early enough. As to the bug list
    thats real apps that need fixing - and should be fixed regardless of whether
    people bandaid ncurses.

    > > 2.  If you are using C++ your constructors can't call libc in this case
    > >     as the order of constructors isnt defined
    >
    > ???
    >
    > Why not just drop privs at the beginning as you are supposed to?

    In C++ _you cant_

    C++ global object constructors are called in pretty much arbitary order before
    main() is entererd.

    Its an interesting reason not to write setuid apps in C++ 8)