Re: Linux kernel filesystem oddities

From: Michal Zalewski (lcamtufat_private)
Date: Mon Jul 06 1998 - 05:55:58 PDT

    On Wed, 8 Jul 1998, Pavel Kankovsky wrote:

    > FIFO itself occupies a single inode, no block, therefore charging inode
    > quota but not block quota is correct.

    It's not charged at all. Set inode quota to something reasonable, then
    create any amount FIFOs in /tmp.

    >> But there will be problem with hard-links - creator of this object is...
    > Hardlink is not a fs object, it is a directory entry.

    Yep. I mean, we need more information about these entries - who really
    CREATED entry... But it's a major change in filesystem architecture and I
    don't think it's possible...

    > The world writable directory is a real problem. It is similar to world
    > writable files: anyone can use them to store data on its owner.

    They are not similar, because directory stores data about owner of entries
    in it. Kernel provides mechanism to limit it, but unfortunately, this
    mechanism is waek.

    Michal Zalewski [lcamtufat_private] <= finger for pub PGP key
    Iterowac jest rzecza ludzka, wykonywac rekursywnie - boska [P. Deutsch]
    [echo "\$0&\$0">_;chmod +x _;./_] <=------=> [tel +48 (0) 22 813 25 86]