Re: Slackware Shadow Insecurity

From: Liviu Daia (daiaat_private)
Date: Mon Jul 13 1998 - 15:13:26 PDT

    On 13 July 1998, Richard Thomas <rthomasat_private> wrote:
    > Discovered by Ted Hickman:
    >
    > Recently I noticed something rather "insecure" about the slackware 3.4
    > /bin/login (and probably other versions). If the /etc/group file does
    > not exist, any user who logs into the system is given uid 0 gid 0.
    [...]

    > So whats the fix? Well first of all, change src/login.c to:
    >
    >         if (setup_uid_gid(&pwent, is_console))
    >                 exit(1);

        Not exactly a good idea AFAICT:  I suppose you still want to login
    as root to create /etc/group after that...

    > If we wanted to be fancy we could continue to login even if
    > initgroups() fails (most likely you don't "need" those extra groups to
    > get into the system and fix it), but we gotta save something for the
    > shadow authors. =)
    [...]

        As I said, you'd probably have to do that anyway.

        Regards,

        Liviu

    --
    Dr. Liviu Daia                   e-mail:   daiaat_private
    Institute of Mathematics         web page: http://www.imar.ro/~daia