Re: Security risk with powermanagemnet on Solaris 2.6

From: Casper Dik (casperat_private)
Date: Tue Jul 21 1998 - 01:32:48 PDT

    >> Recently we found a security risk caused by powermanagement on Solaris
    >> 2.6. I am pretty sure that it exists on Solaris 2.5 too, though I
    >> haven't tested it.

    >Come to think of it I think I saw that exact behaviour in 2.5 too.

    Ever since power management was first supported, in 2.4.

    >> I haven't found a bugdescription or patch from sun. The only workaround
    >> is not to use Powermanagement with a desktop. But who is using
    >> powermanagement anyway?

    Not many people until 2.6, when it became part of the standard OS.

    >I've been usin powermanager on my sparc at home for 2-3 years now. Very
    >useful when you want to switch off the noise without having to close all
    >the applications.

    Same here.

    >I have another interesting aspect of Powermanager. In solaris 2.6
    >powermanager is now installed by default including the setuid program
    >usr/openwin/bin/sys-suspend which can be used by any user to suspend the
    >machine and turn off the power. I think this is scary...

    sys-suspend can be disabled using its configuration files.

    BTW, the workaround for the type to xlock problem would be:

            xlock & sleep 2 ; sys-suspend -xfn

    The actual problem is that xlock gets started after sys-suspend resumes;
    it should be started before hand.

    Casper