Re: Security risk with powermanagemnet on Solaris 2.6

From: Brad Powell (Brad.Powellat_private)
Date: Mon Jul 20 1998 - 15:36:39 PDT

    lej writes to bugtraq:

    >From: Lars-Erik Johansson <lejat_private>
    >Subject:      Re: Security risk with powermanagemnet on Solaris 2.6
    >To: BUGTRAQat_private

    more text deleted

    >I have another interesting aspect of Powermanager. In solaris 2.6
    >powermanager is now installed by default including the setuid program
    >usr/openwin/bin/sys-suspend which can be used by any user to suspend the
    >machine and turn off the power. I think this is scary...

    not so. Who is allowed to run  sys-suspend (according to the man page) is
    controlled by the configuration file  /etc/default/sys-suspend. The default is

    PERMS=console-owner

    thus only the "console owner" can suspend the system. If an intruder
    has physical access to the console, then yes he/she could use sys-suspend.
    But then you have bigger problems imho :-) :-\

    I'd agree that the default configuration should probably be

    PERMS= -

    or

    PERMS=root

    edit by hand or a simple titan script would fix this.

    Brad Powell : brad.powellat_private
    Sr. Network Security Architect
    Sun Microsystems Inc.
                   The views expressed are those of the author and may
                      not reflect the views of Sun Microsystems Inc.