Re: EMERGENCY: new remote root exploit in UW imapd

From: Allen Smith (easmithat_private)
Date: Mon Jul 20 1998 - 18:13:31 PDT

    On Jul 16, 11:04pm, Perry E. Metzger (possibly) wrote:
    > Craig Spannring writes:
    > > C should not be used for trusted programs.
    >
    > Unfortunately, there are not really good open source alternatives. GCC
    > is everywhere.
    >
    > One thing that I wonder about, though, is that several years ago, some
    > guy in the U.K. did a bounds checking version of GCC. It would be Very
    > Neat if someone were to track that down and get the egcs people to
    > make it available.

    http://www-dse.doc.ic.ac.uk/~rj3/bounds-checking.html

    This is for 2.7.2. Be forewarned that it results in _very_ slow
    programs - an example was cited on the FreeBSD-security mailing list
    as follows (Don.Lewisat_private):

    |It may be worse than that.  In a desparate attempt to track down a
    |bug in BIND, I recompiled it with the bounds checking version of
    |gcc.  On a fairly zippy machine, it took about half an hour to load
    |a few zones with a total of a few hundred hosts.  Under light query
    |load it was gobbling about 30% of the CPU.

    |In the situations where I've used code compiled this way, it seems
    |to average about a factor of 20 more expensive in terms of CPU usage.

    > In the long run, I'm hoping for Java front ends for GCC that make it
    > possible to do reasonable open source programming in a reasonable
    > language. Until then...

    I'd add that a Perl compiler is in development.

            -Allen

    --
    Allen Smith                             easmithat_private