Re: News DoS using sendsys

From: Nik Clayton (nikat_private)
Date: Wed Aug 26 1998 - 10:27:30 PDT

    On Wed, Aug 26, 1998 at 11:50:15AM +0200, Walter Hafner wrote:
    > I think we (a local ISP in Augsburg/Germany ...) are hit by an DoS that
    > wasn't described here before:
    >
    > Our newsserver (INN) all of a sudden gets several 100 'sendsys' requests
    > per day. The addresses of the people requesting the sendsys seem to be
    > completely random. They all seem to be normal user-accounts. We see
    > these sendsys requests for about a week now.
    >
    > Since our INN is configured to report all 'unusual' control messages to
    > the news-administrators, rather than to execute it, the DoS doesn't hurt
    > us very much. My Mailfolder now usually looks like:
    >
    >   N  2   Aug 26 News Subsystem     (74)   sendsys by ktakamuraat_private
    >   N  3   Aug 26 News Subsystem     (53)   sendsys by ritchieat_private
    >   N  4   Aug 26 News Subsystem     (64)   sendsys by ritchieat_private
    >   N  5   Aug 26 News Subsystem     (64)   sendsys by flaaggat_private
    >   N  6   Aug 26 News Subsystem     (66)   sendsys by ktakamuraat_private

    This looks like the actions of the "Meowers". I'm not totally up to speed
    with their antics -- as far as I can gather they have been cross-posting
    junk in to the newsgroup demon.local (which is propogated worldwide).

    They've taken exception to recent actions by Demon (instigated by request
    from some of Demon's customers) to fence off cross-posts to demon.local
    that originated outside of Demon's newsservers. The use of 'dennon' in
    the domain above is what tipped me off to this.

    Since you're not linked with Demon (as far as I can tell) I'd guess that one
    of your users/customers has made discouraging comments about the "Meowers"
    (I have no idea why they chose that name) in the demon.local or demon.news
    newsgroup, and the "Meowers" have decided to retaliate.

    If you do a DejaNews search for

        ~g demon.news sendsys

    you'll see some complaints from people saying they've been sendsys bombed
    after expressing an opinion on this.

    If you search for

        ~g demon.news sendsys ~a nthornleyat_private

    you'll find (at least) one message from Nigel Thornley, who purports to
    be nthornleyat_private By looking at this message you should quickly
    get an idea why some of us want the cross-posting stopped.

    --+==[ Nik Clayton becomes Just Another Perl Contractor in 17 days. ]==+--
                          She's still dead. Deal with it.