Re: News DoS using sendsys

From: Pat Barron (patat_private)
Date: Wed Aug 26 1998 - 11:32:35 PDT

    Personally, I don't think there's much legitimate reason for anyone to
    ever send a "sendsys" these days.  Maybe it can be profitably used by
    coordinators of some local and regional hierarchies, to get propagation
    stats, but I would not think there'd be much else it could legitimately
    used for.

    With that in mind, I added the following line to my INN "control.ctl"
    file, after the first day when I saw 600 or so sendsys requests pop up in
    my mailbox:

         sendsys:*:*:drop

    There - problem gone.

    --Pat.