Re: News DoS using sendsys

From: Russ Allbery (rraat_private)
Date: Wed Aug 26 1998 - 15:52:58 PDT

    Walter Hafner <hafnerat_private-MUENCHEN.DE> writes:

    > Our newsserver (INN) all of a sudden gets several 100 'sendsys' requests
    > per day. The addresses of the people requesting the sendsys seem to be
    > completely random. They all seem to be normal user-accounts. We see
    > these sendsys requests for about a week now.

    Just today, the same folks switched to using newgroups.  Unfortunately,
    the control message handling in INN is still implemented using shell
    scripts that are spawned directly from the news server, making it fairly
    easy for a large batch of these to drive the load average of a news server
    through the roof and hurt its normal functioning.  This is particularly
    true if, rather than receiving a real-time feed, you're receiving news in
    batches, because then your upstream will happily batch all the control
    messages for you and you'll get several hundred at once.

    There are several possible solutions at different levels of complexity.

    First, please make sure that your control.ctl file or the equivalent has a
    line like:

            sendsys:*:*:drop

    Otherwise, not only are you processing these, but you're also replying to
    them, and hence mailbombing the targets of this attack (myself included).
    This is a harassment attack aimed at anyone who posts to news.admin.*.

    Second, if you're running a recent version of INN with a Perl spam filter,
    add something like the following to your filter_innd.pl:

            return 'Supersede in control message'
                if (defined $hdr{Supersede} && defined $hdr{Control});
            return 'sendsys'
                if ($hdr{Control} =~ /^\s*sendsys/);

    or grab the latest version of Jeremy Nixon's Cleanfeed spam filter from
    <URL:http://www.exit109.com/~jeremy/news/cleanfeed.html>.

    Finally, patches to turn INN's control message handling into a channel
    feed have finally been written, and are in the current INN CVS tree.
    These send control messages through a channel feed to a separate program
    for processing, rather than having INN handle them, and that separate
    program does serialization to reduce the load impact.

    This whole section of INN is being reworked, which is good; it's long
    overdue for a complete rethink.

    --
    Russ Allbery (rraat_private)         <URL:http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>