Re: News DoS using sendsys

From: Guezou Philippe (fifiat_private)
Date: Wed Aug 26 1998 - 11:04:28 PDT

    We notice the same problem/attack few weeks ago. We were flooded by
    newsfeed request from single users. We were receiving these mails at a
    rate of 30/40 per minutes during 5 days.
    Our news server as the same configuration as Walter Hafner, concerning
    executions of controls messages.

    We were unable to find the guy who issue these attacks.

    Guezou Philippe                                         fifiat_private
    Net. System. Admin.

    On Wed, 26 Aug 1998, Walter Hafner wrote:

    > I think we (a local ISP in Augsburg/Germany ...) are hit by an DoS that
    > wasn't described here before:
    >
    > Our newsserver (INN) all of a sudden gets several 100 'sendsys' requests
    > per day. The addresses of the people requesting the sendsys seem to be
    > completely random. They all seem to be normal user-accounts. We see
    > these sendsys requests for about a week now.

    > Fortunately, this DoS is very easy to stop: Just make sure, that the
    > Newsserver doesn't reply to a 'sendsys' automatically.

    BTW, I think that this attitude is the default one.