Re: News DoS using sendsys

From: David Shaw (dshawat_private)
Date: Thu Aug 27 1998 - 06:32:26 PDT

    On Wed, Aug 26, 1998 at 03:52:58PM -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:
    > There are several possible solutions at different levels of complexity.
    >
    > First, please make sure that your control.ctl file or the equivalent has a
    > line like:
    >
    >         sendsys:*:*:drop

    While you're at it, it might be worth adding:

            senduuname:*:*:drop
            version:*:*:drop

    I suspect that once everyone configures their server to stop responding to
    sendsys, the bombers will switch to senduuname and version.  I have
    already seen a hundred "version" requests come in.  Neither version nor
    senduuname are relevant to the overwhelming majority of INN installations
    out there.

    David

    --
        David Shaw  |  dshawat_private  |  WWW http://www.cs.jhu.edu/~dshaw/