Re: Dump a mode --x--x--x binary on Linux 2.0.x

From: Alan Cox (alanat_private)
Date: Tue Sep 15 1998 - 06:52:30 PDT

    > process-dump-... files in the current directory.  The executable itself
    > can be recovered by catting the first few files together and truncating
    > at the executable size.  I have tested this by reconstructing a copy of
    > /bin/cat which I had protected mode 111 under Linux 2.0.x.

    You can only do this for non setuid applications. I would question it
    is even a bug. Execute only is an extremely vague concept anyway on
    x86 since the chip doesnt really support it physically.

    The convenience and usefulness of LD_PRELOAD seems to far outweigh this
    consideration for normal use. Its probably one for the 'secure linux'
    patch collection therefore.

    Alan