Re: Incorrect Linux ARP behavior

From: Brandon Reynolds (bmrat_private)
Date: Fri Sep 18 1998 - 18:54:36 PDT

    On Fri, 18 Sep 1998, Seth McGann wrote:

    > After further investigation it appears neped.c (the Linux sniffer detector
    > by savageat_private ) operates due to a problem in
    > /linux/net/ipv4/arp.c.  The function arp_rcv() controls when to send ARP

    I ran tcpdump on a machine running RH5.1 kernel version 2.1.122 and from
    another linux box I ran neped and it detected nothing.  But when I ran
    tcpdump on a machine running 2.0.34 it was detected.  So apparently this
    has already been patched in the latest versions of the kernel.

    Brandon Reynolds                                   bmrat_private
    The University of Akron              (330) 972-6776 fax (330) 374-8630
    Mathematics and Computer Science      http://www.math.uakron.edu/~bmr/