Internet Wide DOS Attack using IRC

From: dbarba (dbarbaat_private)
Date: Fri Oct 02 1998 - 14:38:04 PDT

       Please forward this on to the appropriate people if necessary.

       GeoCities is currently experiencing a DOS attack that appears to be
       spread by a trojan horse in a mIRC script.

       GeoCities is receiving thousands of HTTP requests from thousands of
       unique computers daily for a file that no longer exists on our
    servers.
       The specific count for one minute on Friday, September 25 at 10:17 am

        was 3,522 hits,

       1,492 of them were from unique IP's.  For the time period of 3 am to
    10:17am
        on 9/25  we had 3,562 unique IPs request this one file.  It does not
    appear to be
       specifically requested by the user of that computer.  This request
    uses
       no browser and is usually requesting the file every 30 seconds while
    the
       user is connected to the Internet.  The requests are coming from
    around
       the world and have been slowly building up since at least August 18,
       1998 (the farthest back our access logs go).

       The attack is requesting a file from our site:

         http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Stargate/5845/nfo.zip

       The complete content of the 5845 directory was:  nfo.zip, nfo.jpg,
        servers.zip, servers.jpg, users.zip and users.jpg.  When I looked at
    the
        binary files by doing a cat, the users jpg & zip files were the
    same, but the
        other files were all unique.

       It does not use a browser or store cookies.  At the moment, the file
    being
       requested is of zero size.  When there is a file of size , originally
    it was 8k
       and I later inserted a short note to contact me regarding the attack
    into the
       nfo.zip file,  at which time the attack becomes much worse on the
    Windows
        machines that are requesting the file.

       Also, an odd note, there are a couple machines that are requesting
    the file named
       nfo.jpg.  Those are reqeusted every minute instead of every 30
    seconds.

       I have contacted a user that complained about GeoCities attacking
    him.
       In reality, his computer was asking for the nfo.zip file from us
    every
       30 seconds, and that was flooding his connection to the internet.  I
       have worked with him closely since he found the problem.  He only
    uses
       IRC.  In fact, the first time he visited our website is after the
    attack
       started, when he was looking for a contact name and number.  He does
    not
       surf the internet.  He has subsequently reinstalled his OS and that
    has
       completely stopped the attack.

       We did find an entry in his registry with the following setting:

       /microsoft/windowsexplorer/doc/find/spec/mru
       a) " "
       b) 5845
       c) nfo
       d) bo
       e) nfo.zip
       f) winrar
       g) msvbvm60.dll
       h) loadwc
       i) stargate
       j) area51
       mrulist) eadcbjihgf

        When the user deleted the registry entry, the attack from his
    machine
       went from 1 GET every 30 seconds to 1 GET every second.  After about
    10
       minutes, it started slowing up and finally settled into about 1 GET
       every 17-20 seconds.

        I also asked our ISP to help track some of this and this was their
    result.  "All the IP's
        I've scanned so far from the log have several UDP ports open in the
    31337 range
        (what Back Orifice uses)."

       So, we really need to find the source instead of asking everyone to
       reinstall their OS.  It might also be necessary to inform the various

       virus-detection software vendors to try to eradicate this from all of

       the machines that currently have it installed.

       Thank you for your help,

       Debbie Barba
       SysAdmin
       dbarbaat_private