Re: Internet Wide DOS Attack using IRC

From: Paralyse (adamb1at_private)
Date: Fri Oct 02 1998 - 16:42:13 PDT

    > >    We did find an entry in his registry with the following setting:
    > >
    > >    /microsoft/windowsexplorer/doc/find/spec/mru
    > >    a) " "
    > >    b) 5845
    > >    c) nfo
    > >    d) bo
    > >    e) nfo.zip
    > >    f) winrar
    > >    g) msvbvm60.dll
    > >    h) loadwc
    > >    i) stargate
    > >    j) area51
    > >    mrulist) eadcbjihgf

    Actually, this is the Most Recently Used files entry. A-J = the last
    files to be searched for using Find File, or Opened, or Saved - and the
    mrulist specifies the order in which they were used. This is how the
    history box in Find File works, and others.

    mIRC IRC Client 5.4 and above have the ability to create raw sockets -
    you can use the IRC client to open port 25 and check your mail, for
    instance, or to connect to any other port on a server, including port 80
    - most likely this "trojan" is a line in a script that runs a timer
    which connects to the web site, sends HTTP commands, then kills the
    socket; every X number of seconds. I doubt this is sophisticated enough
    to modify the registry or otherwise change system behaviour.

    However, I'm not sure exactly what you could possibly do to prevent such
    an attack from occurring.
    --
     Paralyse -=(webmasterat_private)=-
    -=>-<=- Systems Technician, ICS Computers -=>-<=-