Re: Internet Wide DOS Attack using IRC

From: Diane Bruce (dbat_private)
Date: Fri Oct 02 1998 - 20:11:38 PDT

    Samuel Cossette says:

    > I have done my own investigation about it;
    >
    > First it's not Back Orifice, it's another fuck*** trojan, spread by a DCC
    > With 500 "clones" they can easily split an irc server with the command
    > MOTD :irc.server.net (.do raw command).

      Funny you should mention this one. I coded up the anti-flood code
    for ircd-hybrid-5.3p2. This is exactly why 5.3p2 is out.
    It slows down MOTD requests plus some other requests...
    Its been sucessful in preventing this attack from working.

    -Dianora ircd-hybrid coder/EFnet admin
    (for the curious, ftp.blackened.com/pub/irc/hybrid/ircd-hybrid-5.3p2.tar.gz)

    --
    Diane Bruce, http://www.db.net/~db  http://www.db.net email dbat_private
    "Yeah, but it's a great picture of a toaster oven." lathrop at primenet dot com