Re: solaris tape dev permission stupidity

From: Robert Thomas (robat_private)
Date: Wed Oct 21 1998 - 19:17:54 PDT

    joshua grubman wrote:
    > under solaris, scsi tape devices (/dev/rmt/*, which are linked to the st@x,x:
    > devs in /devices) are created with the permissions bits set to 666. this allows
    > a mallicious user with a login on your system to 'mt erase' the contents of any
    > tape devices connected to your system.

    It's not that simple.  Say, for example, you the unix administrator, as a good
    boy/girl, does a daily backup... That backup is written to the tape. All is
    well and good. You leave your desk, and start to wander over to the computer
    room, to pull the tape out of the drive.  IN that time, someone's done:

    lamer@leeto$ cd
    lamer@leeto$ mt -f /dev/nrmt/0h rewind
    lamer@leeto$ tar xvf /dev/nrmt/0h etc/shadow
    lamer@leeto$ cd etc
    lamer@leeto$ more shadow
    ..shadow password entry..

    and your shadow password file is open to the world.

    Just one, of many, bad-things(tm) that can be done with lame-arsed tape
    permissions.

    --Rob Thomas