Re: X11 cookie hijacker

From: Alan Cox (alanat_private)
Date: Tue Nov 03 1998 - 18:53:29 PST

    > Both of these require all X servers (and servers for the other services
    > you mention later) run with sufficient privileges).  The first opens up
    > a DoS for servers that don't have sufficient privileges.  XFree86, for
    > example, ships with three "servers" that are not normally run with
    > sufficient privileges (lbxproxy, Xnest, Xvfb).

    I'd rather have my Xservers setgid X11 than totally insecure. There are
    neat Linux solutions with the non fs name space but setgid X11 appears to
    be the requirement for safe server side creation.

    Is setgid X11 a problem, given the worst gaining it can do is to leave you
    back where we are right now ?