Re: X11 cookie hijacker

From: Willy TARREAU (tarreauat_private)
Date: Wed Nov 04 1998 - 00:58:21 PST

    > Potential solutions:
    >
    > - set the sticky bit on /tmp/.X11-unix, make sure the bit stays there

    the sticky bit doesn't always prevent some DoS. A few years ago, I used
    to reserve a workstation for myself so that nobody else could start X on it;
    when noone uses X11 and /tmp/.X11-unix is empty :

      mkdir /tmp/.X11-unix/X0
      touch /tmp/.X11-unix/X0/no-delete
      chmod 0 /tmp/.X11-unix/X0

    then it is impossible to create the socket X0, because of the X0 directory
    which is undeletable (not empty). The other solutions you proposed should
    work, I think.

    > --Pavel Kankovsky aka Peak  [ Boycott Microsoft--http://www.vcnet.com/bms ]
    > "You can't be truly paranoid unless you're sure they have already got you."

                                            Willy