world-readable shadow backups in SuSe 5.2

From: HD Moore (hdmooreat_private)
Date: Tue Nov 10 1998 - 09:32:50 PST

    <( problem )>

    The _first_ set of shadow backups created on SuSe 5.2 are world readable.
    This includes '/etc/shadow-' and the original root pass in
    '/etc/shadow.orig'.  I duplicated this on 3 different systems where I had
    just installed SuSe 5.2 with shadowed passwd support.

    <( fix )>

    The way to fix repair is to just delete all the backup copies and when they
    are re-created they have the right permissions.

    <( conclusion )>

    Is this an isolated incident with SuSe, or is it a problem inherent to
    shadow?  I know this isn't the first case I've seen default shadow backups
    being world readable (or shadow.tmp's on SunOs).  Could some other package
    be responsible for changing permissions on these?