Re: world-readable shadow backups in SuSe 5.2

From: Erik (netmaskat_private)
Date: Wed Nov 11 1998 - 10:15:20 PST

    On a slackware 3.5 machine, with no backups... changing users password..
    leaves

    -rw-------   1 root     root          560 Nov 11 09:53 shadow-

    chmod 600. So I would say its a suse linux problem.

    On Tue, 10 Nov 1998, HD Moore wrote:

    > <( conclusion )>
    >
    > Is this an isolated incident with SuSe, or is it a problem inherent to
    > shadow?  I know this isn't the first case I've seen default shadow backups
    > being world readable (or shadow.tmp's on SunOs).  Could some other package
    > be responsible for changing permissions on these?

    | Erik Parker         |
    | netmaskat_private     |
    | IDC NetOps          |

            |  http://www.303.org/           |