Re: world-readable shadow backups in SuSe 5.2

From: Roman Drahtmueller (draht2at_private-FREIBURG.DE)
Date: Thu Nov 12 1998 - 13:40:14 PST

    On Wed, 11 Nov 1998, Erik <netmaskat_private> wrote:
    [...]
    > On a slackware 3.5 machine, with no backups... changing users password..
    > leaves
    >
    > -rw-------   1 root     root          560 Nov 11 09:53 shadow-
    >
    > chmod 600. So I would say its a suse linux problem.

    Not having /etc/shadow mode 640 (root.shadow) requires you to suid
    root xlock and all the kde screen lockers. With SuSE, 2755
    (root.shadow) on xlock and *.kss is enough. So it may _not_ be a SuSE
    problem...

    Remember that every time a configuration change in the system is being
    done with yast (yet another setup tool, specific to SuSE),
    /sbin/SuSEconfig is being run. This script launches "/usr/bin/chkstat
    -set /etc/permissions"  (plus /etc/permissions{.easy,.local}), where
    /etc/permissions describes /etc/shadow as root.shadow, mode 640.

    Whenever you change a password or add a user, /etc/shadow- is being
    set to the same permissions as /etc/shadow by /usr/bin/password or
    /usr/sbin/useradd. If you add users with vi, you must know what you're
    doing.

    Also keep in mind that yast (and therefore SuSEconfig + chkstat) are
    being run at first bootup after setting the root-password. Means:
    nobody except root can read /etc/shadow since root is the only user in
    the system who has a password. If /etc/shadow- is 644 at this stage,
    it just doesn't matter, because the next useradd will clean it up.
    It's not beautiful, and it may be considered a bug, but for sure it's
    not worth bothering/posting/the time.

    rgds,
    Roman.
    | Roman Drahtmller              "The whole world is about three       |
      CC University of Freiburg       drinks behind."
    | email: draht@uni-freiburg.de         (Humphrey Bogart)              |