Re: NT DNS hacked ... ?

From: Marc Slemko (marcsat_private)
Date: Fri Nov 13 1998 - 09:02:29 PST

    On Thu, 12 Nov 1998, John Fraizer wrote:

    > You weren't hacked.  It was NetSol/InterNIC showing us just how lame they
    > are again by corrupting root servers.
    >
    > http://www.news.com/News/Item/0,4,28664,00.html?st.ne.fd.mdh

    The above is unrelated to the below, AFAIK.

    > At 11:47 AM 11/11/98 -0500, you wrote:
    > >Anyone running MS's DNS notice, overnite or so, their cache files
    > >(specifically the root name servers) replaced with a handful of entries for
    > >allegro.net ... ?

    The only thing that the Internic being idiots would have done, as far as I
    have any evidence of, is claim that .com domains do not exist.

    If your nameserver's cache was corrupted to think that allegro.net is
    authoritative for .com (or .), then that is NOT related.  While I would
    need exact output from sample queries to the server to tell for sure, it
    would appear that, if what the poster above said is true, the software
    they are running is vulnerable to cache pollution, just like old versions
    of BIND are.  This is quite bad, both because someone with malicious
    intent can do evil things and because there are an increasing number of
    accidental situations where people somehow misconfigure their servers to
    claim false authority.

    As always, upgrade to a current version of BIND 8.x.  In theory, the
    latest 4.9 isn't vulnerable either but I don't trust it.  If you are
    running software from some other vendor, contact them to ensure that it
    does not suffer from such problems.