Old IRC Client bug Re-Applied

From: rewtat_private
Date: Thu Nov 12 1998 - 09:20:56 PST

    If this has already been announced, well, screw me.

    Problem:
    The IRC (Internet Relay Chat) Client, pIRCh automatically assigns
    your main pirch directory to where DCC downloads are sent.

    Exploit:
    You can replace someone's script file with a malicious one,
    therefore recieving control over an ignorant irc tenant. This can be
    done by sending a replacement file via DCC to the user. Most
    people could tell the user that it was something cool, and they
    would accept it.

    Fix:
    Simply goto Tools.. then Preferences. Flip to the DCC tab and
    change your default DCC recieve directory to something that is not
    the main pIRCh directory.

    Tested On:
    pIRCh32 0.92
    If there's a new version out that fixes it, well crap, I'm sorry for
    taking up your time.

    Cheers,
    REwT <rewtat_private>
    PaKT-TeCH Sekurity | REwT Technologies