Re: NT DNS hacked ... ?

From: bobk (bobkat_private)
Date: Fri Nov 13 1998 - 15:24:30 PST

    On Fri, 13 Nov 1998, Marc Slemko wrote:

    > On Thu, 12 Nov 1998, John Fraizer wrote:
    >
    > > You weren't hacked.  It was NetSol/InterNIC showing us just how lame they
    > > are again by corrupting root servers.
    > >
    > > http://www.news.com/News/Item/0,4,28664,00.html?st.ne.fd.mdh
    >
    > The above is unrelated to the below, AFAIK.
    >
    > > At 11:47 AM 11/11/98 -0500, you wrote:
    > > >Anyone running MS's DNS notice, overnite or so, their cache files
    > > >(specifically the root name servers) replaced with a handful of entries for
    > > >allegro.net ... ?
    >

    > The only thing that the Internic being idiots would have done, as far as I
    > have any evidence of, is claim that .com domains do not exist.
    >
    > If your nameserver's cache was corrupted to think that allegro.net is
    > authoritative for .com (or .), then that is NOT related.  While I would
    > need exact output from sample queries to the server to tell for sure, it
    > would appear that, if what the poster above said is true, the software
    > they are running is vulnerable to cache pollution, just like old versions
    > of BIND are.  This is quite bad, both because someone with malicious
    > intent can do evil things and because there are an increasing number of
    > accidental situations where people somehow misconfigure their servers to
    > claim false authority.

    For some reason, my first message on this topic was not accepted by
    Aleph1. Hence, I will attempt to repeat what I sent upon the first report
    of this problem to this list:

    Microsoft's DNS server is vulnerable to two different types of
    cache-poisoning attacks, while the latest versions of BIND are only known
    to be vulnerable to one type:

    "cache corruption through attachment of unrelated additional records" is
    the simpler of the two methods, and is the one most likely used to corrupt
    your server. As far as I know, there is no Microsoft fix for this. BIND
    used to be vulnerable to this, but the latest versions of it are not.

    "cache corruption through sequence ID prediction" is a more complex
    attack. Both Microsoft and BIND are vulnerable to this. Luckily, there
    aren't many crackers attempting to use this, as far as I can tell. There
    is no complete protection for this attack, even though vendors of DNS
    software have known about the vulnerability for years.