Re: SCO World Script Vulnerabilities

From: Ben Laurie (benat_private)
Date: Fri Nov 13 1998 - 10:42:27 PST

    Joe wrote:
    > Since the CGI is being accessed by the system administrator, your remark
    > about the "user" being able to plug in any host name is plain silly.  If
    > they've got access to the CGI you're ALREADY compromised. Besides, from
    > the shell I've got MORE than enough rope to hang myself. If I'm trying to
    > administer a remote machine over the web I want that same length of rope.

    I can find nothing in the article suggesting that access to the CGI
    should be restricted, let alone saying how you might do that.
    Regardless, it is so easy to secure the scripts properly, there is no
    excuse for not doing it, no matter how secure you think the rest of the
    setup is.

    Cheers,

    Ben.

    and Technical Director|Email: benat_private |