Remote Explorer

From: David LeBlanc (dleblancat_private)
Date: Wed Dec 23 1998 - 08:41:02 PST

    Aleph asked me to post a summary of what's known about this thing - there
    is still a lot to be learned, so this isn't all nailed down just yet.  My
    sources of information include dissecting it myself, Bill Sobel of
    Symantec, Vesselin Bontchev of F-Prot, and various denizens of the
    NTBUGTRAQ mailing list.

    Remote Explorer can act as both a virus and a worm.  If it is run by an
    ordinary user on an NT system, it will proceed to locate executable files,
    insert a compressed copy of the original executable into a copy of itself
    as a resource, then replace the original (including file attributes and
    access times).  If it is run by an administrator, it then installs itself
    as a service.  When it runs as a service, it is operating under System user
    context, and so will then open the shell process (typically explorer) and
    copy the process token, which it then uses to spawn a new copy of itself
    running under the context of the logged in user.  It then enumerates the
    network and attempts to spread itself.  Whether it is installing itself as
    a service remotely or is merely corrupting files isn't known.  It could be
    doing either or both.  If it achieves running as a service, it qualifies as
    a worm (actively spreads itself, rather than passively).

    In addition to infecting executables, it also symmetrically encrypts
    various data files.

    Considering that if you log onto a machine to check it that it can steal
    _your_ user context and propogate itself, it is best to check if it is
    running as a service _remotely_.  It normally shows up as "Remote
    Explorer", and can be located using sc from the Resource Kit, Server
    Manager (point and click, so not practical for lots of machines), and the
    ISS scanner will also find it (see the 'Unknown Services' check).  Once you
    locate a copy of it running as a service, either use sc or Server Manager
    to stop the service and set it to disabled.  Do not log on locally on a
    machine with an active Remote Explorer service.  The various anti-virus
    people are now coming up with disinfectors.

    It appears that this may have been originated at MCI by a disgruntled
    employee, and there are reports that the extent of the damage at MCI is far
    less than Network Associates stated.  There are unconfirmed reports of it
    being found outside MCI.

    I'll repost when I have more information.

    David LeBlanc
    dleblancat_private