Re: Why you should avoid world-writable directories

From: Kragen Sitaker (kragenat_private)
Date: Tue Dec 22 1998 - 13:50:19 PST

    On Tue, 22 Dec 1998, Gonzo Granzeau wrote:
    > As noted from previous sendmail issues, two of the stated problems can be
    > solved by doing a correct disk structure.  You cannot create hard links across
    > across different partitions.  That way, if you have a /, /usr, /tmp, and a
    > /home, you should be okay if it drops it in tmp.  You'd basically have to
    > give their program it's own file system.  This still doesn't change the fact
    > that it is flawed, but if you are forced to use it...

    As djb's recent email to bugtraq points out, this does not solve the
    mail destruction problem; you can make a subdirectory in the spool
    directory and put your hardlink in there.  That subdirectory is
    guaranteed to be on the same partition as the spool directory.

    It *does* solve the mail-yourself-a-private-file problem, but I haven't
    looked at the VMailer spool-file format enough to figure out whether
    there's really a security problem (as djb claims) or not (as Wietse
    claims).

    --
    <kragenat_private>       Kragen Sitaker     <http://www.pobox.com/~kragen/>
    TurboLinux is outselling NT in Japan's retail software market 10 to 1,