Re: Breeze Network Server remote reboot and other bogosity.

From: Dr. Mudge (mudgeat_private)
Date: Fri Jan 01 1999 - 13:27:50 PST

    On Thu, 31 Dec 1998, Mike Pelley wrote:

    > production machine.  I explained that we had some things to work on, and
    > that we had a security review planned after we had ensured that the machine
    > was stable and functional.

    When are vendors going to realize that security needs to be thought of at
    other points in the game then 'after-the-fact'? I'm not familiar with this
    particular product but I am, unfortunately, familiar with companies and
    product teams that follow this same backwards development routine.

    If you design with security in mind from the beginning you get a better
    product that is easier to maintain / verify. If you design the product and
    then think of security after the fact you are left with duct-tape and
    bubble-gum kludges as fixes.

    Is it me or is the industry taking a *really* long time to catch on to
    this?

    .mudge