Re: Simple nmap/inetd workaround

From: Casper Dik (casperat_private)
Date: Fri Jan 01 1999 - 13:18:37 PST

    >A simple interim workaround for nmap-kills-inetd is to replace
    >inetd invokations with
    >
    >        ( trap "" 13; exec /path/to/inetd )
    >
    >or, under Solaris
    >
    >        ( trap "" 13; exec /usr/sbin/inetd -s )
    >
    >this causes SIGPIPE to be ignored. Unfortunately,
    >it is also ignored for inetd's children. This may cause some
    >problems for services which run under inetd that expect SIGPIPE,
    >but on the whole, I think you're better off this way.

    Removing all internal tcp services from inetd.conf will help
    too

    time    stream  tcp     nowait  root    internal
    echo    stream  tcp     nowait  root    internal
    discard stream  tcp     nowait  root    internal
    daytime stream  tcp     nowait  root    internal
    chargen stream  tcp     nowait  root    internal

    In fact, only the "time", "daytime" functions are affected.
    (the other three fork)

    Casper