Re: PATH variable in zip-slackware 2.0.35

From: Rattle (rattleat_private)
Date: Mon Jan 04 1999 - 00:29:24 PST

    On Sat, 21 Nov 1998, Cacaio Torquato wrote:

    > Just FYI:
    >
    > As I have seen in Slackware 3.4 CD-Rom, these two entries are also in the
    > default PATH.
    >
    > Maybe this entrie is also included in the default PATH of other versions of
    > Slackware.

    As far as I can remember, "/usr/andrew" and "." have been in the PATH
    on every version of Slackware I have ever installed.  Which probably
    meants its even in pre 2.0 releases.

    While the presence "/usr/andrew" is (in most cases) nothing more than
    "clutter", having "." is your path is a very common mistake admins make.
    Mainly because people can be to lazy to type ./configure when installing
    packages.  As previously mentioned, this can is used by the common script
    kiddie to easily make a suid shell or other 4xxx toy for himself.

    Many a machine has been cracked by someone inserting a script named "ls"
    in the /tmp dir.

    Also, there are hooks in various Slackware startup scripts (ie:
    /etc/rc.d/rc.inet2) to startup various daemons that are not installed by
    default.  The first one that comes to mind is sshd.  While this is not a
    security risk (as it only looks to the dirs "/usr/sbin" and
    "/usr/local/sbin").  I may be mistaken (Its kinda late here.. heh), but I
    can sware that it is not commented out by default.  As I said, not a
    blatent security risk, but if you have sshd installed, but don't want it
    to run..  You may want to comment that out.  (And if you don't use
    ssh/scp, you should..)

    . Nick Levay
    . rattleat_private
    . "There are two major products that come out of Berkeley:  LSD and UNIX.
    . We do not believe this to be a coincidence."