Re: SUN almost has a clue! (automountd)

From: Friedrichs, Oliver (Oliver_Friedrichsat_private)
Date: Mon Jan 04 1999 - 17:38:46 PST

    >This new bug, located in rpc.statd which is also started by default
    >(imagine that!), allows for remote packets to be bounced to the
    >local Operating System.

    This isn't really new.  This problem was found by Secure Networks,
    Inc. last spring and forwarded to vendors.  A module to test for
    this vulnerability has been in Ballista (now CyberCop Scanner
    from Network Associates) since then as well.

    It was never publicly noted, since the problem hasn't been fixed
    yet (and as a security company, we aren't in the habit of
    disclosing bugs which aren't fixed), however many people knew
    of this vulnerability as a result of our research.

    - Oliver
      Network Associates, Inc.