Re: Network Scan Vulnerability [SUMMARY]

From: Tomasz Grabowski (cadenceat_private)
Date: Tue Jan 05 1999 - 04:43:56 PST

    On Thu, 24 Dec 1998, Aleph One wrote:

    > The reports:
    >
    > xinetd on FreeBSD 2.2.7 does not crash when scanned with nmap -sT.
    > Solaris versions earlier than Solaris 7 are affected.
    > Irix 5.3, 6.2, 6.3 inetd's dies by nmap-1.51 with -vv
    > Irix 6.5SE inetd's die with nmap-1.51 -F
    > SunOS 4.1.3 reboots when scanned by nmap-1.51 with -vv.
    > UNICOS 10 inetd's *may* die when scanned by nmap-1.51 -F.
    > No can can seem to crash Windows 98 as reported by SecureXpert Labs.
    > OpenBSD 2.4 seems fine.

    And  FORE PowerHub, 7-2.6.3.4-P10.
    It hangs for about 80 seconds when scanned with nmap -sS -O (nmap V2.00)

    I posted it to FORE about three weeks ago and never received an answer.

    BTW: it's not the first time when FORE don't care about such things. About
    4 months ago I posted simillar message to them (i described how to make
    one TCP/IP packet, which will hang PowerHubs) and I received only
    semi-generated message... nothing else.

    I think that the problem with nmap now is something very simillar to that
    one_TCP/IP_packet attack...

    ---
    Tomasz Grabowski  (0-91)4333950
    Akademickie Centrum Informatyki