Re: SUN almost has a clue! (automountd)

From: Michael Russell (Michael_Russellat_private)
Date: Tue Jan 05 1999 - 06:10:13 PST

    >  Vulnerability: Automountd
    >  Operating System: SUN Solaris
    >  Versions affected: 2.5, 2.5.1, 2.6, 2.7 (X86 and SPARC architectures)

    I tested this exploit on several systems and I found the following:
      2.5 - not vulnerable with my testing
      2.5.1 - vulnerable for patch 104654-03 and below, not vulnerable
              once 104654-04 or higher applied.
      2.6 - not tested
      2.7 - not tested

    Perhaps the forged DNS would have made 2.5.1 104654-04+ vulnerable,
      but using the suggested test with "/etc/hosts" did not.

    Has anyone else done any useful testing and/or have any opinions
      on what to do to thwart this?  It appears to me that putting
      2.5.1 patch 104654-05 (current) takes care of the problem.
      Am I missing something?

                                            Michael Russell
                                            Michael_Russellat_private
                                            Senior Systems Programmer