Re: SUN almost has a clue! (automountd)

From: Friedrichs, Oliver (Oliver_Friedrichsat_private)
Date: Tue Jan 05 1999 - 11:50:32 PST

    >>It was never publicly noted, since the problem hasn't been fixed
    >>yet (and as a security company, we aren't in the habit of
    >>disclosing bugs which aren't fixed), however many people knew

    >And all the script kiddies out there are probably very grateful for
    >that. Experience shows that vendors don't move unless the bug is
    >disclosed.

    Let me explain why it wasn't released previously.

    1. This problem was only found to impact the automount
    service directly.  The reason for this is that the
    automount service listens on the loopback interface only.
    The only useful purpose of the rpc.statd bounce attack
    is to get to services on the loopback interface which
    you shouldn't be able to get to from other network
    interfaces.  The other use is to bypass possible filtering
    mechanisms as the packet will come from the localhost,
    however there is no direct and simple attack to exploit
    anything on a stock Solaris system via this.

    2. The problem this bounce attack demonstrates in
    the automount service was fixed a long time ago by
    another Sun patch.  With this patch installed, the service
    is no longer vulnerable.

    Therefore it was our judgement that this attack wasn't
    "groundbreaking" nor a serious threat to anyone who
    takes even preliminary security precautions such as
    installing vendor patches.

    The only useful aspect that this bounce attack discloses
    is that the previously known automount vulnerability
    can also be exploited remotely, as well as locally
    (which was already known).

    - Oliver
      Network Associates, Inc.