Re: "solaris 7" name change consequences

From: //Stany (stanyat_private)
Date: Sat Jan 09 1999 - 00:36:20 PST

    On Fri, 8 Jan 1999, rick pim wrote:

    >   john riddoch mentioned sun's "patchdiag". i took a fast look at that
    > and found that
    >   - it's not available in source
    >   - it's over a megabyte in size (even after throwing away the redundant
    >     copy of its own tar file that sun kindly includes in the kit)
    >   - it can produce misleading results: on my just-installed 5.7 system, it
    >     tells me:
    >      Patch  Ins Lat Age  Require    Incomp  Synopsis
    >        ID   Rev Rev        ID         ID
    >      ------ --- --- --- --------- --------- ----------------------------------
    >      All security patches installed!
    >     when there are at least two that are outstanding. i don't know that
    >     this is at all related to the "version number" issue, but it's
    >     not a particularly good sign.

    At first I have thought that you are getting this error because you are
    having a stale crossreference file. Every time Sun have released a patch
    (for all practical purposes daily) the patchdiag.xref file is updated and
    by the end of the day made available on the ftp sites.  Unfortunally there
    /is/ a problem with SunOS 5.7, as even though there have been a number of
    patches released for it, including a kernel upgrade, patchdiag doesn't
    pick it up.

    My script that I invoke to run patchdiag is the following:
    --->
    #!/bin/bash
    if [ -f ./patchdiag.xref ]; then
            mv patchdiag.xref patchdiag.xref.
    fi
    wget ftp://sunsolve1.sun.com/pub/patches/patchdiag.xref
    ./patchdiag | less
    <---

    Which, assuming that you have less and wget (both are GNU tools),
    essentially downloads the latest crossreference file and runs patchdiag
    against it (the file have to be present in the same place where you have
    told patchdiag on install it is).  Crossreference files are conviniently
    dated, so you can always see if your data is up to date:
    [snip]
    System Name: zerkalo.notbsd.org  SunOS Vers: 5.6         Arch: sparc
    Cross Reference File Date: 07/Jan/99

    PatchDiag Version: 1.0.1
    [snip]

    Now running this on a SunOS 5.7 host will tell me that my patches are in
    fact all up to date.  However, if I am to do a full patch audit, by using
    patchdiag -l, it will show me that in fact there are plenty of patches
    not installed.

    Among other cool options that patchdiag can do is ability to do a
    diagnostics of a different system, as long as the OS and arch the other
    system runs is known, and output of showrev -p and, pkginfo -l is
    available:

    stany@zerkalo:/opt/patchdiag-1.0.1[19]$ ssh stanyat_private showrev -p >/tmp/showrev_2.7.txt
    stany@zerkalo:/opt/patchdiag-1.0.1[19]$ ssh stanyat_private pkgadd -l >/tmp/pkgadd_2.7.txt
    stany@zerkalo:/opt/patchdiag-1.0.1[20]$ ./patchdiag -p /tmp/pkgadd_2.7.txt /tmp/showrev_2.7.txt 5.7 sparc asmodean.notbsd.org

    [snip]

    OTHER RELATED UNINSTALLED PATCHES

    NOTE: This is determined by the packages that have been
          installed on the system.

          When one patch refers to multiple packages, we list the
          additional packages in the next lines.

          The various 'S','R','*' marks denote unbundled packages
          that is designated as an 'Security' or 'Recommended'.

             S = Security
             R = Recommened Unbundled
             * = Both Security and Recommended Unbundled

    Patch    Package   Latest    Synopsis
      ID     Name      Revision
    ------ - --------- -----------------------------------------------------------------
    106147   SUNWxilvl    01     SunOS 5.7: VIS/XIL Graphics Patch
    106541   SUNWcar      01     SunOS 5.7: kernel update patch
             SUNWcpr
             SUNWcsr
             SUNWhea
    106793 * SUNWcsu      01     SunOS 5.7: ufsdump and ufsrestore patch
             SUNWhea
    106812   SUNWplow1    04     SunOS 5.7: ctl print utility patch
    106832   SUNWcsr      01     SunOS 5.7: auditreduce/c2audit/praudit patch
             SUNWcsu
             SUNWhea
    106879   SUNWpmowu    01     Power_Mgmt-SW 7: sys-suspend patch
    106934   SUNWdtbas    01     CDE 1.3: libDtSvc Patch
    106938   SUNWcsl      01     SunOS 5.7: libresolv patch
    106960 R SUNWman      01     SunOS 5.7: Manual Pages for patchadd.1m and patchrm.1m
    106963   SUNWcsr      01     SunOS 5.7: /kernel/drv/esp and /kernel/drv/sparcv9/esp patch

    [snip the rest of the output.  There are plenty more patches...]

    Yes, the kernel patch is in there, together with all the other
    "Security and Recommended unbundled" patches

    Best of luck.  Hope it helps in keeping your systems up to date.

    //Stany
    P.S. A note of warning - it is really worth-while to find out what
    patches do before you add them.

    |         Stanislav N. Vardomskiy - Procurator Odiosus Ex Infernis[TM]        |
    |        This message is brought to you by letters jey, ow, el and tee.       |
    |              Jolt!  For all the sugar and twice the caffeine.               |