Re: SSH 1.x and 2.x Daemon

Date: Mon Jan 25 1999 - 11:40:09 PST

    Hello,

    > > There seems to be incomplete code in the SSH daemon in both versions 1.2.27
    > > and 2.0.11 (only tested).  The bug simply allows users who with expired
    > > accounts (in /etc/shadow) to continue to login even though other such
    > > services such as ftp and telnet deny access.  Here is the log using 1.2.27
    > > (but the same happens with 2.0.11).
    >
    >         This is not the case with ssh 1.1.26 running on FreeBSD 2.2.8
    >         If I expire an account:
    >         Expire [month day year]: January 1, 1999
    >         Then when I try to ssh in I just get:
    >         Permission denied.

    There's a configure parameter to use the "usual" /bin/login program
    instead of the login procedure implemented with ssh:

      --with-login[=PATH]     Use login -f to finish login connections.

    On one hand, a possible fix (temporal, of course) is to compile sshd with
    support for /bin/login. The features of the shadow-suite will be back.

    On the other hand, SSH 1.2.26 seems to implement the expiration date of
    accounts (grep expire sshd.c), but I don't know if it does it ok.

    Greetings,

    							Sergio