Re: Microsoft Critical Updater Security

From: Corwin J. Grey (cgreyat_private)
Date: Tue Jan 26 1999 - 12:45:11 PST

    --zhXaljGHf11kAtnf

    Carson, I believe you are correct. I have noticed something similar on two =
    occasions now, where it appears that the Critical Update program is updatin=
    g something without requestion permission. I have not give permission on th=
    e security certificates, and have to authenticate all other transfers from =
    MS. I'm not sure exactly what is taking place, but I don't like it.=20

    I'm going to being tracking all Critical Update changes using logs of all d=
    irectory entries to see exactly what is being altered. As soon as I get ano=
    ther occurence and can identify what files have been modified I will post t=
    he results here.

    On Mon, Jan 25, 1999 at 09:50:56PM -0500, Carson Gaspar wrote:
    >=20
    > Gale> The behaviour you describe occured because at some point, you or so=
    meone
    > Gale> else who uses your computer told Windows to trust all content from
    > Gale> Microsoft.  The wait and restart was indeed an update to Windows Up=
    date.
    > Gale> To prevent this in the future, you will have to open in IE4
    > View> Internet Options>Content>Certificate>Publishers and remove the
    > Gale> publishers you no longer want to trust.
    >=20
    > Not true. I can confirm this. It transferred _something_  and then
    > asked if I wanted to restart. After that, I got the usual "do you want
    > to trust this ActiveX control" message before it scanned my system for
    > new updates.
    >=20
    > Something else is going on.
    >=20
    > --
    > Carson Gaspar -- carsonat_private carsonat_private carsonat_private
    > http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~carson/home.html
    > Queen Trapped in a Butch Body

    --=20