Re: Microsoft Hotmail

From: Georg Schwarz (schwarzat_private-BERLIN.DE)
Date: Tue Jan 26 1999 - 14:17:16 PST

    > I contacted Microsoft/Hotmail asking them to close the account
    > of that was listed in the backdoored tcp wrapper source code.
    > I also forwarded the offending code.
    >
    > The word back from them is that they will not close it.  Theft
    > of passwords and hacking does not violate thier terms of
    > service.

    please keep in mind that there is probably no proof or any plausible
    evidence that the ower of that address has actually something to do with
    that hacked up tcpd version. It *might* just as well have been a third
    party who inserted that address in order to make that owner loose that
    particular email. I don't think it's very likely, but it cannot be ruled
    out, so simply closing down the account without any further knowledge of
    that case would, IMHO, be a wrong move for a service provider, maybe
    even violating customers' rights (depending on that country's laws).
    --
    Georg Schwarz     schwarzat_private-berlin.de, kuroiat_private-berlin.de
    Institut für Theoretische Physik       +49 30 314-24254, FAX -21130