Re: open socket in java

From: Lincoln Stein (lsteinat_private)
Date: Fri Feb 05 1999 - 06:09:25 PST

    Aviram Jenik writes:
     > nino wrote:
     >
     > > The implications are obvious. If any host can connect to the machine
     > > running the aplet, you could tell java to do things like the boserver.
     > > If
     > > you have a completely open socket, its rock n' roll !
     > >

     > No, it's not.
     >
     > Yes, you can connect to the open socket, but the applet can't do any I/O, so
     > it's basically harmless (just like any other applet).

    The main issue, I think, is information leakage between the Web site
    that uses the applet and the applet's author.  Consider this scenario:
    a Bad Guy puts out a compiled applet in the public domain that seems
    to do something innocent like chart business graphics. Some company
    then picks up this applet and uses it to display its confidential
    business plan to authorized hosts in branch offices.  Unbenknownst to
    the company or the branch office, the applet has actually opened a
    listen socket, has accepted a connection from the applet's original
    author, and is currently transmitting the confidential information to
    an untrusted host!

    Lincoln

    lsteinat_private			                  Cold Spring Harbor, NY