ISS Internet Scanner Cannot be relied upon for conclusive Audits

From: Mr. joej (mr_joejat_private)
Date: Sun Feb 07 1999 - 18:28:55 PST

    Before I even start I want to point out that I am NOT
    product bashing! ISS's products provide the average
    administrator a good way to audit his/her own network.
    But there have been numerous companies pop up using only
    ISS products to provide security audits and security
    expertise.  This is inadequate.  Granted if someone
    doesn't use Internet Scanner for at least part of an
    audit, they better be real good ....err REAL good.

    ISS Internet scanner for example:
    Granted ISS never claims to test for all known
    vulnerabilities.  This is no surprise, new holes are out
    everyday.  But my problem is that of the vulnerabilities
    that Internet Scanner says that it is testing, I have
    found a few that it DOESN'T even though it says it is.

    Example 'Router Checks' I wanted to scan my network to see
    if I had any routers that were vulnerable to the old
    ioslogon bug.  After a quick scan, I found none.  I knew
    this wasn't right, there was one somewhere I hadn't upgraded
    yet.  After testing by hand I found it.  I talked to ISS about
    this for a while, after sending logs and talking to the engineers
    their reply was 'well snmp is disabled ....' The rest of their
    reply was something about how this vulnerability was related to
    snmp therefor Internet Scanner couldn't scan for it.  This is WRONG.

    After some testing this is what was found.  Internet Scanner only
    tests for this bug if it can either gain access to a shell (by
    guessing the telnet password), or by getting snmp access to get
    the IOS version information.  Based upon this, Internet Scanner
    determines whether or not the router is vulnerable.  This is WRONG.

    This same holds true to all router checks except ascend udp kill.
    My follow up question, How many other vulnerabilities does Internet
    Scanner say it will scan, but really doesn't?

    ISS: Either be very very clear that you are not 'really' scanning
    for these vulnerabilities, or just scan for them.

    Sorry for the long message, but I wanted to be clear, and its late ....

    JoeJ

    Mr_JoeJat_private