Re: Security Scanners and other Auditing Tools [was Re: ISS Inter

From: Merrick, Pete G (PgMerrickat_private)
Date: Thu Feb 11 1999 - 16:06:35 PST

    I agree with most of what was said here (see below).  However, from an audit
    point of view,  how this should be implemented (at the tool level) I do not
    personally agree with.  I believe that the scanner should perform in exactly
    that manner (performs the scan and suggests that the vulnerability exists).
    It is then up to the auditor to follow up the reports and determine whether
    or not the machine is vulnerable.  The auditor would do this by exploiting
    the vulnerabililty manually).
    Anyway, just my thoughts.

    >All security scanners and intrusion testing software should actually
    >exploit
    >the vulnerability that they are testing for to determine if it is
    >actually
    >vulnerable.  Audit reports should not be generated using security
    >audit tools
    >that only check for vulnerabilities based on the version number and
    >patch
    >levels but instead use this information generated by tools like ISS,
    >strobe,
    >COPS, NetRanger, etc. as a guideline as to what resources need further
    >testing
    >and investigation.  The reason for this is that there may be some
    >security
    >program that might actually prevent vulnerability exploitation from
    >happening.

    "This email is intended only for the use of the individual or entity
    named above and may contain information that is confidential and
    privileged.  If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby
    email is strictly prohibited.  When addressed to our clients, any
    opinions or advice contained in this email are subject to the terms
    and conditions expressed in the governing KPMG client engagement
    letter.  If you have received this email in error, please notify us
    immediately by return email or telephone +61 2 9335 7000 and destroy
    the original message.  Thank you."